Arians, Cardinals eager to get back on field after consecutive losses
The team faces the Atlanta Falcons Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium and, following their ugly Thursday night loss to the Seattle Seahawks last time out, it's high time to turn things around, according to coach Bruce Arians.
"(We've) got a bad taste in our mouths from two losses and one of our goals was never to lose two in a row and that's happened and we've got to come back on a winning track," the first-year Cardinals coach told the media Friday, adding that there was "no doubt" his team was excited to get back on the field.
At 3-4 and winless against NFC West opponents, the result of the Cardinals' Sunday contest could determine the direction of their season. A win would perpetuate playoff hopes heading into their bye week in Week 9 while a loss may send the squad into rebuild mode, with the potential of a switch at quarterback looming.
Arians, along with several of his players, acknowledges the gravity of the contest.
"I don't know if there's ever a ‘must (win)' game," he said, "but this can get us back into the race for sure and get us even and we've got a couple of tiebreakers on some teams that we'll be even with, so this is huge for us."
Running back Andre Ellington echoed such a notion following the team's lackluster offensive performance versus the defensively-stout Seahawks.
"We're very hungry, man," he told reporters in Tempe on Friday.
Ellington added that the extended practice team bodes well for the Cardinals' fate Sunday.
"I felt like we had a great week of practice. You know, guys got better offensively and defensively."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b