Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald not focused on trade rumors
After all, even though the league's trade deadline is just days away, the NFL is traditionally not a league where there is much movement while games are being played.
Yet, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday morning that Larry Fitzgerald, the Arizona Cardinals' All-Pro receiver and face of the franchise, could be moved at the conclusion of this season -- if not a bit sooner than that.
Asked about the rumor after his team's 27-13 win over the Atlanta Falcons Sunday, Fitzgerald said essentially what you would expect.
"I don't know. I come to work every day and just focus on how I can help the Arizona Cardinals and help my team win," he said. "If they decide to move me, that happens. I have no control over any of that.
"I just focus on what I can do to improve and help my team."
The 30-year-old had a solid-if-unspectacular game Sunday, tallying 48 yards and a touchdown on four receptions. He's been dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of the season, and admitted earlier in the week that he is not yet feeling 100 percent healthy.
But even injured, Fitzgerald is the Cardinals' most potent weapon in the passing game. He became the youngest player in history to reach the 800-career reception mark Sunday. He is one of the best receivers in the history of the game, and it would not make much sense for Arizona to move him while the team is 4-4 and very much in the playoff hunt.
At this point a trade would come as a shock to most, including Fitzgerald's quarterback.
"I actually hadn't heard that," Carson Palmer said when told of the rumor. "But I don't think -- I don't see that happening."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?