Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald not focused on trade rumors
After all, even though the league's trade deadline is just days away, the NFL is traditionally not a league where there is much movement while games are being played.
Yet, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday morning that Larry Fitzgerald, the Arizona Cardinals' All-Pro receiver and face of the franchise, could be moved at the conclusion of this season -- if not a bit sooner than that.
Asked about the rumor after his team's 27-13 win over the Atlanta Falcons Sunday, Fitzgerald said essentially what you would expect.
"I don't know. I come to work every day and just focus on how I can help the Arizona Cardinals and help my team win," he said. "If they decide to move me, that happens. I have no control over any of that.
"I just focus on what I can do to improve and help my team."
The 30-year-old had a solid-if-unspectacular game Sunday, tallying 48 yards and a touchdown on four receptions. He's been dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of the season, and admitted earlier in the week that he is not yet feeling 100 percent healthy.
But even injured, Fitzgerald is the Cardinals' most potent weapon in the passing game. He became the youngest player in history to reach the 800-career reception mark Sunday. He is one of the best receivers in the history of the game, and it would not make much sense for Arizona to move him while the team is 4-4 and very much in the playoff hunt.
At this point a trade would come as a shock to most, including Fitzgerald's quarterback.
"I actually hadn't heard that," Carson Palmer said when told of the rumor. "But I don't think -- I don't see that happening."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Michael Floyd: A threat Arizona Cardinals have not had since Anquan Boldin
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?