Arizona Cardinals' John Abraham notches sack in win over former team
The veteran linebacker said there was no added motivation to have a good game against his former team, believing he had nothing to prove to the organization he was a part of the last seven seasons.
Sunday, after his new team beat his old one 27-13, the 35-year-old admitted, ever so slightly, that this win felt a bit different.
"I mean it felt good to beat them, I'm not going to lie about that," he said. "But you know, it kind of hurts a little bit because I don't like seeing my other teammates go into a slump like this because I know how much those guys work, I know how much they put into this."
Abraham noted that it would have felt different for him had this game been played in Atlanta, but ultimately he viewed it less as an opportunity to beat his former team than it was a chance for the Cardinals to earn a big win.
Abraham, who left the game in the fourth quarter due to a head injury, finished the afternoon with two tackles -- one of which was a sack.
"It was good to get a chance to play against him, the respect I have for Matt," Abraham said of Falcons QB Matt Ryan. "You know, I should have had maybe two more sacks here, the way I see it."
His effort was part of a day of dominance by Arizona's defense, which harassed Falcons QB Matt Ryan to the tune of four sacks and four interceptions.
"We have that type of defense," Abraham said. "We wanted to start it off fast regardless just so we could get our mindset ready to play and pound it out and I think we did a good job of doing that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.