Rashad Johnson picks off pair of passes in Arizona Cardinals' win
Since that time, some have wondered how the, uh, injury would affect the safety. Johnson maintained all along that it would not be a problem, but until he had a chance to prove otherwise, people were likely a bit skeptical.
Sunday, he had his proof.
Johnson intercepted a pair of Matt Ryan passes in Arizona's 27-13 win, playing a key role in the Cardinals' dominant defensive effort. Along with the interceptions, the fifth-year pro contributed a tackle and three passes defensed.
"In this football game, there's so many plays that everybody's going to get an opportunity to make plays throughout the year," Johnson said. "I just wanted to continue not to press because I hadn't had any picks earlier in the season, and I knew they would come."
They did indeed, as Johnson played a good centerfield and was able to get to a couple of passes the quarterback floated down the field.
"You can't make those plays and expect your team to win," Ryan said of his interceptions, of which there were four. "You can't make those plays and think you're giving your team a chance to win."
No doubt it was a rough day at the office for Ryan, but for Johnson, it was an afternoon that was weeks in the making.
"It feels great," Johnson said. "It's a big blessing for me to be able to do what I love week-in and week-out. To go out and play at a high level and have the type of game I had today, I have to give all the thanks to God."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.