Rashad Johnson picks off pair of passes in Arizona Cardinals' win
Since that time, some have wondered how the, uh, injury would affect the safety. Johnson maintained all along that it would not be a problem, but until he had a chance to prove otherwise, people were likely a bit skeptical.
Sunday, he had his proof.
Johnson intercepted a pair of Matt Ryan passes in Arizona's 27-13 win, playing a key role in the Cardinals' dominant defensive effort. Along with the interceptions, the fifth-year pro contributed a tackle and three passes defensed.
"In this football game, there's so many plays that everybody's going to get an opportunity to make plays throughout the year," Johnson said. "I just wanted to continue not to press because I hadn't had any picks earlier in the season, and I knew they would come."
They did indeed, as Johnson played a good centerfield and was able to get to a couple of passes the quarterback floated down the field.
"You can't make those plays and expect your team to win," Ryan said of his interceptions, of which there were four. "You can't make those plays and think you're giving your team a chance to win."
No doubt it was a rough day at the office for Ryan, but for Johnson, it was an afternoon that was weeks in the making.
"It feels great," Johnson said. "It's a big blessing for me to be able to do what I love week-in and week-out. To go out and play at a high level and have the type of game I had today, I have to give all the thanks to God."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?