Rashad Johnson picks off pair of passes in Arizona Cardinals' win
Since that time, some have wondered how the, uh, injury would affect the safety. Johnson maintained all along that it would not be a problem, but until he had a chance to prove otherwise, people were likely a bit skeptical.
Sunday, he had his proof.
Johnson intercepted a pair of Matt Ryan passes in Arizona's 27-13 win, playing a key role in the Cardinals' dominant defensive effort. Along with the interceptions, the fifth-year pro contributed a tackle and three passes defensed.
"In this football game, there's so many plays that everybody's going to get an opportunity to make plays throughout the year," Johnson said. "I just wanted to continue not to press because I hadn't had any picks earlier in the season, and I knew they would come."
They did indeed, as Johnson played a good centerfield and was able to get to a couple of passes the quarterback floated down the field.
"You can't make those plays and expect your team to win," Ryan said of his interceptions, of which there were four. "You can't make those plays and think you're giving your team a chance to win."
No doubt it was a rough day at the office for Ryan, but for Johnson, it was an afternoon that was weeks in the making.
"It feels great," Johnson said. "It's a big blessing for me to be able to do what I love week-in and week-out. To go out and play at a high level and have the type of game I had today, I have to give all the thanks to God."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi - Friday March 14Steve Smith sounds off
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday March 14How well have the Cardinals done in free agency?
- Karlos Dansby, Cleveland Browns linebacker - Wednesday March 12Cleveland Browns linebacker and former Arizona Cardinal Karlos Dansby discusses his signing with the
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Wednesday March 12Mark Schlereth of ESPN reacts to the early signings during NFL free agency.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals new left tackle - Wednesday March 12Jared Veldheer discusses his recent signing with the Cardinals.