Updated Oct 28, 2013 - 9:03 am
Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim debunks Larry Fitzgerald trade rumors
Schefter tweeted that Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald would be available for a trade this offseason, should a deal not be struck before the NFL trade deadline hits Tuesday.
Fitzgerald responded Sunday with four catches for 48 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' 27-13 win, and then responded to the rumors following the contest.
"If they decide to move me, that happens," Fitzgerald said. "I have no control over any of that. I just focus on what I can do to improve and help my team."
Monday morning, Arizona general manager Steve Keim left no doubt about the organization's feelings on Sunday's rumor.
"I can tell you two things, and I want to make this clear and simple," Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Monday. "I have not had one conversation with another NFL team regarding a trade with Larry Fitzgerald.
"Number two, starting with Michael Bidwill down, it is our intent for Larry Fitzgerald to retire a Cardinal, period. If there was any grey area there guys, let me know, and we'll get it out."
You may now breathe easy, Fitz fans.
There has been plenty of speculation about Fitzgerald's future with the team that made him the third-overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft out of the University of Pittsburgh. Declining production, along with an astronomical salary cap hit of $18 million has fueled the discussion about Fitzgerald's longevity in Arizona. Keim also addressed the latter.
"Regardless of the situation, we have a counter for Larry's deal moving forward. Now anything else that's done is something we're going to have to look at and continue to talk through, but Larry Fitzgerald is a Cardinal and will remain a Cardinal."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.