Updated Oct 28, 2013 - 9:03 am
Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim debunks Larry Fitzgerald trade rumors
Schefter tweeted that Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald would be available for a trade this offseason, should a deal not be struck before the NFL trade deadline hits Tuesday.
Fitzgerald responded Sunday with four catches for 48 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' 27-13 win, and then responded to the rumors following the contest.
"If they decide to move me, that happens," Fitzgerald said. "I have no control over any of that. I just focus on what I can do to improve and help my team."
Monday morning, Arizona general manager Steve Keim left no doubt about the organization's feelings on Sunday's rumor.
"I can tell you two things, and I want to make this clear and simple," Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Monday. "I have not had one conversation with another NFL team regarding a trade with Larry Fitzgerald.
"Number two, starting with Michael Bidwill down, it is our intent for Larry Fitzgerald to retire a Cardinal, period. If there was any grey area there guys, let me know, and we'll get it out."
You may now breathe easy, Fitz fans.
There has been plenty of speculation about Fitzgerald's future with the team that made him the third-overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft out of the University of Pittsburgh. Declining production, along with an astronomical salary cap hit of $18 million has fueled the discussion about Fitzgerald's longevity in Arizona. Keim also addressed the latter.
"Regardless of the situation, we have a counter for Larry's deal moving forward. Now anything else that's done is something we're going to have to look at and continue to talk through, but Larry Fitzgerald is a Cardinal and will remain a Cardinal."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.