Carson Palmer jumps four spots in Ron Jaworski's QB rankings
He's on the precipice of surmounting 2,000 yards on the season, currently having thrown for 1,913 yards through eight games, and he has 10 touchdowns to boot.
But his issue this season is glaring -- his 14 interceptions have significantly injured his overall performance. Only the New York Giants' Eli Manning has thrown more picks through the first eight weeks of the season, having thrown 15.
Each week, ESPN's Ron Jaworski ranks the league's quarterbacks and this week Palmer came in at No. 19 -- up four spots from last week's ranking of No. 23.
Note: ESPN Insider subscription required to access above link.
Not surprisingly, the Denver Broncos' Peyton Manning took Jaworski's top spot while Case Keenum of the Houston Texans, the team the Cardinals play next, in Week 10, took No. 32.
Jaworski explains Palmer's jump thusly:
Palmer played better in the win over Atlanta, with his 78.1 QBR mark the highest since he notched a 79.3 score to open the season. That said, the biggest cause for his rise might be the plethora of new (or relatively new) QBs in the lower ranks.
Palmer completed 13 of his 18 passes in Week 8 against the Atlanta Falcons, throwing two touchdowns to one interception with an improved QBR of 78.1.
He is currently 13th among NFL quarterbacks in passing yards this season, 15th in completion percentage, 14th in touchdowns and 17th in yards per game.
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Arizona Cardinals' Alex Okafor's transition to linebacker is complete
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi