Carson Palmer jumps four spots in Ron Jaworski's QB rankings
He's on the precipice of surmounting 2,000 yards on the season, currently having thrown for 1,913 yards through eight games, and he has 10 touchdowns to boot.
But his issue this season is glaring -- his 14 interceptions have significantly injured his overall performance. Only the New York Giants' Eli Manning has thrown more picks through the first eight weeks of the season, having thrown 15.
Each week, ESPN's Ron Jaworski ranks the league's quarterbacks and this week Palmer came in at No. 19 -- up four spots from last week's ranking of No. 23.
Note: ESPN Insider subscription required to access above link.
Not surprisingly, the Denver Broncos' Peyton Manning took Jaworski's top spot while Case Keenum of the Houston Texans, the team the Cardinals play next, in Week 10, took No. 32.
Jaworski explains Palmer's jump thusly:
Palmer played better in the win over Atlanta, with his 78.1 QBR mark the highest since he notched a 79.3 score to open the season. That said, the biggest cause for his rise might be the plethora of new (or relatively new) QBs in the lower ranks.
Palmer completed 13 of his 18 passes in Week 8 against the Atlanta Falcons, throwing two touchdowns to one interception with an improved QBR of 78.1.
He is currently 13th among NFL quarterbacks in passing yards this season, 15th in completion percentage, 14th in touchdowns and 17th in yards per game.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.