Carson Palmer jumps four spots in Ron Jaworski's QB rankings
He's on the precipice of surmounting 2,000 yards on the season, currently having thrown for 1,913 yards through eight games, and he has 10 touchdowns to boot.
But his issue this season is glaring -- his 14 interceptions have significantly injured his overall performance. Only the New York Giants' Eli Manning has thrown more picks through the first eight weeks of the season, having thrown 15.
Each week, ESPN's Ron Jaworski ranks the league's quarterbacks and this week Palmer came in at No. 19 -- up four spots from last week's ranking of No. 23.
Note: ESPN Insider subscription required to access above link.
Not surprisingly, the Denver Broncos' Peyton Manning took Jaworski's top spot while Case Keenum of the Houston Texans, the team the Cardinals play next, in Week 10, took No. 32.
Jaworski explains Palmer's jump thusly:
Palmer played better in the win over Atlanta, with his 78.1 QBR mark the highest since he notched a 79.3 score to open the season. That said, the biggest cause for his rise might be the plethora of new (or relatively new) QBs in the lower ranks.
Palmer completed 13 of his 18 passes in Week 8 against the Atlanta Falcons, throwing two touchdowns to one interception with an improved QBR of 78.1.
He is currently 13th among NFL quarterbacks in passing yards this season, 15th in completion percentage, 14th in touchdowns and 17th in yards per game.
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.