Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 9:43 am
Arizona Cardinals' Michael Bidwill not worried about bullying in team's locker room
The recent events surrounding Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin, who took a leave from the team last week after allegations of bullying surfaced, have shed light on a new issue around the league.
Monday, Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito, a Glendale Mountain Ridge High graduate, was suspended indefinitely as the team and the NFL look into his involvement in the Martin situation.
Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill joined Doug and Wolf Monday morning and said he's not too worried about the situation repeating itself in his team's locker room because of the organization's belief in stocking the roster with the right kind of people.
"One of the things that we put an emphasis on, and have for years, is drafting quality football players that are also high-character people," Bidwill said. "When you're drafting high-character people, you don't have people not treating other people with respect in the locker room.
"I think (GM) Steve (Keim) has done a good job of identifying high-character players to come on to our team."
Bidwill also didn't sound shocked about the news of Incognito's suspension, citing past issues.
"Richie Incognito's a guy that has a lot of talent, but he had questions coming out of school about his character. He's been flagged a lot for unnecessary roughness and things like that," Bidwill said.
According to Bidwill, sometimes a player's apparent talent isn't worth the headaches he'll bring to an organization.
"For me, it's really about sticking to your philosophy and that your philosophy works for you and you just don't go after a guy who appears to be talented," he said. "When you bring in talented guys who don't have high character, you can have other problems in your locker room on and off the field."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.