Cardinals sign TE Jake Ballard, release rookie D.C. Jefferson
Ballard, an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State, played 15 games from 2010-11 with the New York Giants. During that span, the 25-year-old caught 38 passes for 604 yards to go along with four touchdowns.
After a breakout year with the Giants in 2011, the 6-foot-6 tight end tore his ACL in the second half of the team's 20-17 victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI.
New York placed him on injured reserve while he recovered from the injury but doing so during the offseason allowed the Patriots to claim him off waivers.
Ballard sat out the entire 2012 season after being placed on New England's Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list. He did spend training camp with the Patriots this past August but failed to make the team's roster.
To make room for Ballard, Arizona released rookie tight end D.C. Jefferson. Jefferson, a seventh-round pick out of Rutgers, appeared in four of the Cardinals' first eight games in 2013.
At the midway point in the season, Cardinals' tight ends have caught 26 passes for 222 yards and a touchdown.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?