Cardinals sign TE Jake Ballard, release rookie D.C. Jefferson
Ballard, an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State, played 15 games from 2010-11 with the New York Giants. During that span, the 25-year-old caught 38 passes for 604 yards to go along with four touchdowns.
After a breakout year with the Giants in 2011, the 6-foot-6 tight end tore his ACL in the second half of the team's 20-17 victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI.
New York placed him on injured reserve while he recovered from the injury but doing so during the offseason allowed the Patriots to claim him off waivers.
Ballard sat out the entire 2012 season after being placed on New England's Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list. He did spend training camp with the Patriots this past August but failed to make the team's roster.
To make room for Ballard, Arizona released rookie tight end D.C. Jefferson. Jefferson, a seventh-round pick out of Rutgers, appeared in four of the Cardinals' first eight games in 2013.
At the midway point in the season, Cardinals' tight ends have caught 26 passes for 222 yards and a touchdown.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.