Cardinals sign TE Jake Ballard, release rookie D.C. Jefferson
Ballard, an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State, played 15 games from 2010-11 with the New York Giants. During that span, the 25-year-old caught 38 passes for 604 yards to go along with four touchdowns.
After a breakout year with the Giants in 2011, the 6-foot-6 tight end tore his ACL in the second half of the team's 20-17 victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI.
New York placed him on injured reserve while he recovered from the injury but doing so during the offseason allowed the Patriots to claim him off waivers.
Ballard sat out the entire 2012 season after being placed on New England's Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list. He did spend training camp with the Patriots this past August but failed to make the team's roster.
To make room for Ballard, Arizona released rookie tight end D.C. Jefferson. Jefferson, a seventh-round pick out of Rutgers, appeared in four of the Cardinals' first eight games in 2013.
At the midway point in the season, Cardinals' tight ends have caught 26 passes for 222 yards and a touchdown.
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls its quits in Huffington Post article
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!