Gary Kubiak will not coach Houston Texans against Arizona Cardinals
Kubiak suffered what has been called a "mini-stroke" at halftime of the team's game against the Indianapolis Colts.
Kubiak, who collapsed to the ground, was taken off the field on a stretcher and brought to a Houston-area hospital, where tests were run and a diagnosis was made. The coach was released from the hospital Tuesday, but is not ready to return to work.
Wade Phillips, the team's defensive coordinator, will assume the role of head coach on an interim basis for the Texans. The 66-year-old has been an NFL head coach before, compiling an 82-61 record during stints with the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys.
"It affects the game," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday, before he knew Kubiak was ruled out and Phillips was taking over. "Any time you have a disruption like that it affects your football team."
Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who took over Kubiak's play-calling duties Sunday, will likely keep the role against the Cardinals.
Kubiak has been the Texans' head coach since 2006, and has guided the team to a 61-58 record. The team made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, and was a favorite to reach the Super Bowl this season before injuries and ineffective quarterback play derailed those hopes.
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves