Gary Kubiak will not coach Houston Texans against Arizona Cardinals
Kubiak suffered what has been called a "mini-stroke" at halftime of the team's game against the Indianapolis Colts.
Kubiak, who collapsed to the ground, was taken off the field on a stretcher and brought to a Houston-area hospital, where tests were run and a diagnosis was made. The coach was released from the hospital Tuesday, but is not ready to return to work.
Wade Phillips, the team's defensive coordinator, will assume the role of head coach on an interim basis for the Texans. The 66-year-old has been an NFL head coach before, compiling an 82-61 record during stints with the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys.
"It affects the game," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday, before he knew Kubiak was ruled out and Phillips was taking over. "Any time you have a disruption like that it affects your football team."
Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who took over Kubiak's play-calling duties Sunday, will likely keep the role against the Cardinals.
Kubiak has been the Texans' head coach since 2006, and has guided the team to a 61-58 record. The team made the playoffs each of the last two seasons, and was a favorite to reach the Super Bowl this season before injuries and ineffective quarterback play derailed those hopes.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!