Cards' Palmer on bye week: 'I learned a lot'
"It was great for the entire team to get off their feet for a little while," Palmer told media gathered at Cardinals' practice in Tempe on Wednesday.
Although the Cardinals stand at 4-4 and have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs this season, their new quarterback hasn't fared as well as fans may have hoped, throwing 14 interceptions through the first half -- the same amount he threw in 15 games with the Oakland Raiders last season. And the bye week, as Cardinals' personnel have made platitudinous, couldn't have come at a better time for Palmer and teammates.
"It just kind of gives you a chance to recharge," said Palmer, "and it gave me a really good chance to go back and look at what we were doing.
"I've always used bye week as a chance to self-scout."
For the 33-year-old signal caller, such introspection may have been unpleasant, given his poor decision making thus far. Palmer's 14 interceptions are the second most in the NFL, behind only the New York Giants' Eli Manning, while 17 other league quarterbacks have thrown more touchdowns than his 10.
Palmer's total quarterback rating (QBR) meanwhile, as determined by ESPN Stats & Info, ranks 31st among 34 qualified NFL quarterbacks, with only the New York Jets' Geno Smith, the Jacksonville Jaguars' Chad Henne and the Cleveland Browns' Brandon Weeden ranking worse in the measure.
"You know, you try to figure out any tendencies you can find in yourself and get ready for the second half of the season," Palmer went on.
Hopefully, for both his sake and that of the Cardinals, the 10-year veteran was able to pinpoint his problem areas and assess the issues with his decision making.
Palmer, himself, believes that he was able to do just that.
"I learned a lot."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b