Report: Cardinals a possible destination in Ben Roethlisberger trade scenario
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Roethlisberger is expected to approach the organization about a trade after the season ends. The Steelers are in the midst of a troubling campaign, entering Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills with a 2-6 record.
A representative of two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback denied Rapoport's report on Sunday, saying Roethlisberger's "roots are set firmly in Pittsburgh."
CBS Sports says Big Ben's contract runs through the end of the 2015 season.
His cap hit is $17.9 million in '14 and $17.4 million the following year. And if he were traded in the offseason the Steelers would eat more than $11 million in dead money, a huge deterent for an already cap-strapped organizaiton.
NFL Network's Mike Silver says the 31-year-old quarterback wants to finish his career with the Steelers, but if the team does decide to field trades for him, look for Arizona to inquire. Roethlisberger may look to reunite with his former offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians, who is now the Cardinals head coach. CBS Sports says the two are "good friends," as well.
Rapoport said a Steelers source told him the team would have to get a franchise quarterback in exchange if it were to deal the two-time Pro Bowler.
Roethlisberger has thrown for 2,330 yards, 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions on 64.9 percent passing in the first eight games of 2013.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.