Report: Cardinals a possible destination in Ben Roethlisberger trade scenario
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Roethlisberger is expected to approach the organization about a trade after the season ends. The Steelers are in the midst of a troubling campaign, entering Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills with a 2-6 record.
A representative of two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback denied Rapoport's report on Sunday, saying Roethlisberger's "roots are set firmly in Pittsburgh."
CBS Sports says Big Ben's contract runs through the end of the 2015 season.
His cap hit is $17.9 million in '14 and $17.4 million the following year. And if he were traded in the offseason the Steelers would eat more than $11 million in dead money, a huge deterent for an already cap-strapped organizaiton.
NFL Network's Mike Silver says the 31-year-old quarterback wants to finish his career with the Steelers, but if the team does decide to field trades for him, look for Arizona to inquire. Roethlisberger may look to reunite with his former offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians, who is now the Cardinals head coach. CBS Sports says the two are "good friends," as well.
Rapoport said a Steelers source told him the team would have to get a franchise quarterback in exchange if it were to deal the two-time Pro Bowler.
Roethlisberger has thrown for 2,330 yards, 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions on 64.9 percent passing in the first eight games of 2013.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.