Cardinals receiver Andre Roberts celebrates NFL's 'Salute to Service' with big day
Roberts, who had 64 receptions for 759 yards to go along with a team-leading five touchdown catches, looked like a shell of his former self despite finally having competent quarterback behind center in Carson Palmer.
But with a new coaching staff also in place this season, Roberts found himself moving further and further away from his accustomed position in the slot. That shift combined with Rob Housler's return to the lineup in Week 3 made the former Citadel standout a virtual afterthought (20 catches for 191 yards and no touchdowns) in an offense centered around Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and rookie running back Andre Ellington.
In fact, Roberts had more receiving yards (97) in Week 1 than he had in Weeks 2-8 combined (94).
But that all changed Sunday.
In the Cardinals' 27-24 win over the Houston Texans -- their fifth of the season -- Roberts hauled in a team-high five catches for 72 yards, including a 19-yard touchdown grab in the fourth quarter that proved to be the difference in the contest.
"We ran somewhat of that play earlier. It was a flat route earlier," Roberts said. "So we just ran a flat and out. He bit on it. Carson put it up and I just went up and got it [for a touchdown].
"Every offense [sets up touchdowns with previous plays], double moves usually. That's what we did."
Roberts' big day coincidentally occurred on the NFL's 'Salute to Service' Day. As Cardinals VP of Media Relations Mark Dalton noted, the wide receiver's parents, Stephen and Dorothy, were career members of the Army and met during basic training at Fort Jackson.
To celebrate the touchdown, Roberts honored the troops and his parents in typical fashion.
Although, this one definitely had a little more meaning attached to it.
"It felt good to get one in [the end zone] this week and give my patented salute to all our troops that fight for this country," said Roberts.
The Cardinals can only hope after Sunday's performance that many more salutes are in Roberts' immediate future -- for it'll signal that his days of disappearing are but a thing of the past.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!