John Abraham comes up big again for Arizona Cardinals in win
"It's my mom; she's going to blowing me up until she says something to me," he said. "She's proud of me."
She should be.
Abraham collected two sacks on the afternoon, the first of which came on Houston's first play from scrimmage, forcing a fumble that was returned for a six-yard touchdown by Matt Shaughnessy.
The sacks were Abraham's fourth and fifth of the season, all of which have come in the team's last three games. The active career leader in sacks with 127, the veteran has been a key contributor for one of the NFL's best defenses. He passed Kansas City Chiefs legend Derrick Thomas for 12th on the NFL's all-time list Sunday.
"When I came into the game if you would have told me I would have got this far I never would have believed it," he said. "I didn't know I was going to be in the league this long; I didn't know I was going to be able to get so high up the chart."
Abraham said he just wanted to play football and wasn't really one to pay attention to the stats, but now, at 35 and in his 14th NFL season, it's something he certainly keeps an eye on.
He got off to a slow start this season, but is definitely starting to come on strong. He attributes it to being healthy following a shoulder issue, saying if he looks like the "John we know" it's because he's finally able to be that guy.
"When you're playing through, not even an injury but just being hurt," he said. "Now being 100 percent healthy, I think it's showing up different on tape."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.