John Abraham comes up big again for Arizona Cardinals in win
"It's my mom; she's going to blowing me up until she says something to me," he said. "She's proud of me."
She should be.
Abraham collected two sacks on the afternoon, the first of which came on Houston's first play from scrimmage, forcing a fumble that was returned for a six-yard touchdown by Matt Shaughnessy.
The sacks were Abraham's fourth and fifth of the season, all of which have come in the team's last three games. The active career leader in sacks with 127, the veteran has been a key contributor for one of the NFL's best defenses. He passed Kansas City Chiefs legend Derrick Thomas for 12th on the NFL's all-time list Sunday.
"When I came into the game if you would have told me I would have got this far I never would have believed it," he said. "I didn't know I was going to be in the league this long; I didn't know I was going to be able to get so high up the chart."
Abraham said he just wanted to play football and wasn't really one to pay attention to the stats, but now, at 35 and in his 14th NFL season, it's something he certainly keeps an eye on.
He got off to a slow start this season, but is definitely starting to come on strong. He attributes it to being healthy following a shoulder issue, saying if he looks like the "John we know" it's because he's finally able to be that guy.
"When you're playing through, not even an injury but just being hurt," he said. "Now being 100 percent healthy, I think it's showing up different on tape."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.