Updated Nov 15, 2013 - 4:00 pm
NFL analyst: Big Ben would make Arizona Cardinals 'instant contenders'
While "Big Ben" has denied many of the claims suggesting he's asked for a move, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport said that may not be entirely true and the Steelers are at least thinking about possible deals.
"Some Steelers sources believe he may ask them to explore trade options at the end of the season, because of the current situation, and also his contract situation looming over him," Rapoport told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley with Vince Marotta Friday.
Roethlisberger signed an eight-year, $108 million contract that runs through the 2015 season. Between his deal and the contracts of other veterans like Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark, the Steelers have a lot of money committed to aging players, and a rebuilding process might be facing the team shortly.
Rapoport added he's also a bit shocked at how strongly Roethlisberger has denied accusations of a trade request, but also pointed out some things the two-time Super Bowl champ hasn't said.
"He's denied some parts," Rapoport explained. "He hasn't said he hasn't asked to be traded. He has said, ‘I don't want to ask to be traded. We don't want a trade.' It's a little different. Nuanced, but different."
If Roethlisberger were to be traded, which the player has stated would require an extraordinary circumstance, Rapoport sees Arizona as great fit due to his relationship with head coach Bruce Arians.
"To play with really one of his close friends, Bruce Arians, a guy where's he had the most success and is familiar with the system," Rapoport said. "To me, that'd be a perfect situation for all parties.
"They'd become instant contenders."
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b