Arizona Cardinals WR Michael Floyd impresses by overcoming adversity
The second-year pro from Notre Dame had six catches for 193 yards and his 91-yard touchdown catch in the third quarter gave Arizona a 10-point lead.
The numbers, obviously, were impressive, but Cardinals general manager Steve Keim says Floyd caught his eye for another reason.
"He actually bounced back from some adversity, I thought early in the game, there were one or two plays where I thought there were catchable balls that he had dropped. They were in traffic, so they would have been difficult catches, but still they were the kind of catches the 13th-overall pick would make," Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday morning.
"He's such a competitor that he came back and made those big plays for us and I think that's just something that's going to continue to grow and he'll build on."
Not too bad for a guy who missed practice last Wednesday with a shoulder injury and who was listed as 'questionable' heading into the game.
Floyd's 91-yard reception was the longest Cardinals pass play since their inaugural season in the desert when Neil Lomax connected with Ernie Jones on a 93-yard scoring strike in a Week 15 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.
His yardage total was the second-highest mark in the Cardinals' Arizona history. Anquan Boldin holds the mark with 217 yards set in his first NFL game in Week 1 of the 2003 season against the Detroit Lions.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.