Cardinals GM: Running woes 'alarming,' but pleased Palmer 'continues to grow'
Although the Jaguars featured the league's worst rush defense -- 153 yards per game allowed -- heading into the non-conference matchup, Bob Babich's unit made a conscious effort to shut down Arizona running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington.
It was an effort that proved quite fruitful.
The Cardinals' backfield duo, along with quarterback Carson Palmer, rushed for a mere 14 yards on 24 carries -- a season-worst 0.6 yards per carry.
"It definitely alarms you," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday in regards to the lack of a run game in Jacksonville. "We were coming off the two best games of the season where we had balance offensively. They were games that we talked about where Carson didn't have to sit back and throw the ball 35 or 40 times to beat you. As we all know, when you put the ball in the air that many times, bad things can potentially happen."
Bad things didn't happen to Palmer, though, as he completed a game turnover-free for the first time in 2013. In the process, he threw for a season-high 419 yards and two touchdowns, as the Cardinals went on to win rather easily 27-14.
As alarming as the backfield woes were, Keim admitted that he was quite pleased from what he saw out of his quarterback.
"Carson did a nice job taking care of the ball," said Keim. "He took what they gave us, and really from a ball placement standpoint, accuracy and timing, he had a really nice game. I think he did a nice job in the pocket locating secondary options. With him, it's something to build on. He continues to grow in this offense."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.