Cardinals GM: Running woes 'alarming,' but pleased Palmer 'continues to grow'
Although the Jaguars featured the league's worst rush defense -- 153 yards per game allowed -- heading into the non-conference matchup, Bob Babich's unit made a conscious effort to shut down Arizona running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington.
It was an effort that proved quite fruitful.
The Cardinals' backfield duo, along with quarterback Carson Palmer, rushed for a mere 14 yards on 24 carries -- a season-worst 0.6 yards per carry.
"It definitely alarms you," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday in regards to the lack of a run game in Jacksonville. "We were coming off the two best games of the season where we had balance offensively. They were games that we talked about where Carson didn't have to sit back and throw the ball 35 or 40 times to beat you. As we all know, when you put the ball in the air that many times, bad things can potentially happen."
Bad things didn't happen to Palmer, though, as he completed a game turnover-free for the first time in 2013. In the process, he threw for a season-high 419 yards and two touchdowns, as the Cardinals went on to win rather easily 27-14.
As alarming as the backfield woes were, Keim admitted that he was quite pleased from what he saw out of his quarterback.
"Carson did a nice job taking care of the ball," said Keim. "He took what they gave us, and really from a ball placement standpoint, accuracy and timing, he had a really nice game. I think he did a nice job in the pocket locating secondary options. With him, it's something to build on. He continues to grow in this offense."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.