Updated Nov 19, 2013 - 8:52 am
Drafting Michael Floyd in 2012 proving to be the right call for the Arizona Cardinals
There was some debate in the 2012 draft as to where Arizona would go with the 13th overall pick. They were desperate for offensive line help and Riley Reiff, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Cordy Glenn and Jonathan Martin were still in the board when Arizona's pick came up.
But needing to fill a void for a number-two receiver and possible future #1, they selected the Notre Dame standout despite a drunken driving citation that led to a suspension in college.
Arizona had struggled to find a complement to Larry Fitzgerald since Anquan Boldin was traded. Players like Steve Breaston, Early Doucet and Andre Roberts failed to give Arizona a dynamic duo at wideout.
There were some doubts about Floyd last season as to whether he could elevate his game to become a primary receiver. He had a decent season with 45 receptions for 562 yards and two touchdowns.
But this season, Floyd has emerged as a go-to receiver. He has led the Cardinals in receiving yards in four of the last seven games. He leads the team in receiving yards with 657, which is 103 more than Fitzgerald.
He is proving that Arizona made the right call in the 2012 draft and he way very well develop into a future #1.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.