Cardinals' Mathieu No. 7 on Mel Kiper Jr.'s Top Rookie list
The parameters used to make his determinations, as he explains in the article, are manifold: they reflect a player's season-long body of work, positional value comes into play, playing time -- and the strength of a particular player's team -- factors in.
With that in place, Kiper began his list with Kiko Adams, a Buffalo Bills' linebacker out of Oregon, who is the NFL's second-leading tackler.
Arizona Cardinals rookie safety, former LSU Tiger Tyrann Mathieu, took Kiper's No. 7 spot in the rankings, thanks, in part, to his consistent play and tackling count, which the evaluator notes is second on the team.
The ironic thing about Mathieu's season isn't so much his ability to make plays all over the field, it's that for a guy who was considered a potential boom or bust player, he has been extremely consistent week to week. Every Monday I go back through the games, and he's as steady a player as the Cardinals have had, and that's no exaggeration. Only Karlos Dansby has more tackles, and Mathieu's versatility keeps him on the field for every play.
Mathieu was the second rookie safety on Kiper's list, with New Orleans Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro, a Texas product, ranking No. 4. Another rookie safety out of LSU, Eric Reid of the San Francisco 49ers, also made Kiper's top 10.
Among the other players who ranked higher than Mathieu on the list (besides Alonso and Vaccaro) were: DT Sheldon Richardson (New York Jets; No. 2), DT Star Lotulelei (Carolina Panthers; No. 3), RB Giavani Bernard (Cincinnati Bengals; No. 5) and TE Jordan Reed (Washington Redskins; No. 6).
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!