Larry Fitzgerald reaches another milestone in Arizona Cardinals' win over Indianapolis Colts
Yet, just more than one month after becoming the youngest player in NFL history to reach 800 career receptions, which he did in a win over the Atlanta Falcons, Fitzgerald added another achievement to his storied career.
Sunday, in the team's 40-11 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, he became the youngest player in league history to cross the 11,000-yard plateau on a 16-yard reception late in the first half.
"I really don't pay all that much attention to it, in the now," Fitzgerald said after the game. "I'm happy, it's a great accomplishment, But Jerry Rice had 21,000 yards receiving, and that's the benchmark."
Actually, Rice finished his career with 22,895 yards, but he was not on the same pace as the Arizona Cardinal. Had it not been for some shaky quarterback play the last few seasons, odds are Fitzgerald would have reached this milestone much sooner than 30 years and 85 days.
But alas, a record is still a record.
Fitzgerald finished the day with five catches for 52 yards and two first-half touchdowns. On the season, he now has 606 yards and eight touchdowns on 50 catches. The reception and yard totals are nothing to write home about, but the eight touchdowns are double what he posted all of last season.
"Larry's been there. His opportunities are getting there," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. "He's getting healthier. You can see it now.
"We had him down the field a couple more times, and I thought he got held, but it's part of the game. The chemistry is coming with all of those guys."
This was far and away the team's best offensive performance of the season, and Fitzgerald was a big part of it. Needless to say, the 30-year-old receiver is enjoying this year a bit more than last, when the team struggled to move the ball and his numbers suffered because of it.
"It feels much better to be 7-4; that's really what it's about for me at this point in my career," Fitzgerald said. "Ten years in. The numbers are great, but to be doing it in winning, that makes it that much more special.
"To have my son be able to watch it in the stands, he's old enough to know what's going on now, so those type of things are meaningful."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.