Arizona Cardinals coach says Andre Ellington is 'a game-time decision' for Philadelphia
Coach Bruce Arians said the rookie "tweaked" his left knee near the end of practice Thursday and is a "game-time decision" after missing practice Friday.
Arians said Ellington's injury isn't serious, but "we want to be careful with him."
Ellington said he hurt the knee when he turned to make a cut toward the end of Thursday's practice, but noted he feels better Friday than he did the day before.
"I'm good to go," he said.
Granted, that kind of goes against what Arians said, but Ellington is banking on the next couple of days giving him enough time to heal.
"That's a lot of rest, two days," he said. "I'm going to continue to rehab and get to Sunday and kind of get out there and run around a little bit."
A sixth-round pick out of Clemson last April, Ellington has emerged as one of the team's most dynamic playmakers. A running back, he has gained 441 yards on just 73 carries and caught 28 passes for 247 yards. He's scored three total touchdowns.
Should Ellington miss the game, Rashard Mendenhall and Stepfan Taylor would figure to pick up the slack, with Alfonso Smith also being in the mix for some additional work.
"Just one guy out," Arians said of the blow that would be not having Ellington. "There's still a bunch of guys who are capable of taking his place, and we'll make our adjustments that we need to make."
The coach, though, admitted there are about five or six plays that would have to be removed from the game plan if Ellington is unable to go because no one else on the team can do them.
"Other than that, just keep on rolling."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Arizona Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein to miss 3 weeks after suffering calf injury
- John Brown is like…
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.