Arizona Cardinals coach says Andre Ellington is 'a game-time decision' for Philadelphia
Coach Bruce Arians said the rookie "tweaked" his left knee near the end of practice Thursday and is a "game-time decision" after missing practice Friday.
Arians said Ellington's injury isn't serious, but "we want to be careful with him."
Ellington said he hurt the knee when he turned to make a cut toward the end of Thursday's practice, but noted he feels better Friday than he did the day before.
"I'm good to go," he said.
Granted, that kind of goes against what Arians said, but Ellington is banking on the next couple of days giving him enough time to heal.
"That's a lot of rest, two days," he said. "I'm going to continue to rehab and get to Sunday and kind of get out there and run around a little bit."
A sixth-round pick out of Clemson last April, Ellington has emerged as one of the team's most dynamic playmakers. A running back, he has gained 441 yards on just 73 carries and caught 28 passes for 247 yards. He's scored three total touchdowns.
Should Ellington miss the game, Rashard Mendenhall and Stepfan Taylor would figure to pick up the slack, with Alfonso Smith also being in the mix for some additional work.
"Just one guy out," Arians said of the blow that would be not having Ellington. "There's still a bunch of guys who are capable of taking his place, and we'll make our adjustments that we need to make."
The coach, though, admitted there are about five or six plays that would have to be removed from the game plan if Ellington is unable to go because no one else on the team can do them.
"Other than that, just keep on rolling."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.