NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
Seven months later, there are new buzz words being echoed in reference to the former LSU standout.
NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.
Although he doesn't have a final say in the matter, NFL.com writer Chris Wesseling believes heading into the final month of the regular season, the Cardinals safety has earned the right to be the leading candidate for the top honor awarded to defensive rookies.
In 12 games, Mathieu is second on the team in total tackles with 67 and also has two interceptions, five tackles for a loss and a forced fumble. But its his versatility and ability to play on all three downs that has impressed Wesseling most in the 2013.
What's amazing about Mathieu is that he's already one of the NFL's most versatile and well-rounded defensive backs, playing safety in base packages and switching to cornerback in nickel and dime packages. I haven't seen a single cornerback who can match the third-round rookie in run support or blitzing.
Mathieu has also shown a knack for big plays, punching the ball out of Jared Cook's hands on a would-be long touchdown and tackling Nate Burleson short of the sticks on a potential game-winning drive. The Honey Badger is a key chess piece in Todd Bowles' defense, which rivals Seattle's for the No. 1 spot in Football Outsiders metrics.
The last Cardinal to win Rookie of the Year honors was Simeon Rice back in 1996.
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.