Updated Dec 13, 2013 - 10:53 am
Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
The shakiest position on the line has been left tackle. Levi Brown began the season as the starter, but his performance left much to be desired and he was dealt after four games. His departure thrust the imposing, but inexperienced, Bradley Sowell into the starting unit.
In an ESPN Insider article, football analyst Ron Jaworski takes a look at what each quarterback in the NFL is desperately missing on offense.
As I look around the league heading into Week 15, I see some very talented, established quarterbacks who could use some help from those around them. Well, 'tis the season for giving, so Santa Jaws is going to suggest the best present each of these quarterbacks could wish for this offseason.
Jaworski's "holiday gift" to the Cardinals -- and to Carson Palmer, specifically -- is a left tackle. He says the position has been troublesome for the Cardinals "for years."
The ESPN writer says Sowell is "doing a decent job," but that the team has committed a lot of resources to helping him out, often deploying tight ends or running backs as reinforcements on passing plays.
When you need to commit another player to help out, that limits the offense. And protection is especially important for Palmer, who likes to get to the launch point and stay there because he doesn't move that well.
The Cardinals obviously won't have a savior step in at the position before the season ends, but if they commit to Palmer going forward, they might want to focus on strengthening their pass protection in the offseason.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.