Updated Dec 17, 2013 - 11:27 am
Cardinals' GM Keim: Arians 'turns up the heat' on the offensive line
From the drafting of now-injured guard Jonathan Cooper in the first round of the draft to the trading away of slumping tackle Levi Brown, Keim and company clearly valued the importance of a trustworthy offensive line for new quarterback Carson Palmer.
On Monday, the day after his team ensured their first winning season in years with a win over the Tennessee Titans, Keim spoke about the improvements on the offensive front while a guest on The Doug and Wolf Show.
"I think they're playing in unison better," Keim told the hosts. "I think they're playing better as a group, whether it's working together on combination, passing off stunts -- those sorts of things that it takes as a group to get better."
According to FootballOutsiders.com, the Cardinals front has jumped ten spots from last year to this year in pass protection rankings, standing as the 16th-best line in the league -- just above league average -- and eighth in the NFC.
"Harold Goodwin, Larry Zierlein have done a great job with those guys," Keim went on, talking about the Cardinals' offensive coordinator and assistant offensive line coach and their work with the unit.
"Just from a technique standpoint, I think those guys have really improved."
With two games left on the schedule, the line has seen Palmer sacked 36 times thus far -- a major improvement over the 58 times Cardinals quarterbacks were sacked last season.
"And quite frankly," Keim began, "Bruce really turns up the heat on those guys.
"These guys want to play hard for him and they love him."
Despite the improvements, though, Arians has had to work around the weaknesses of a still-flawed line, which Keim went on to point out to the show.
"Bruce just understands the schematical limitations (of the offensive line) knowing where we need to chip or where we need help," the first year GM said.
Lately, Arians has been using two-tight end packages in order to help his line.
"It's not a pride thing; he's not going to leave the left tackle out there on an island the whole game."
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.