ProFootballFocus: Cardinals' Andre Ellington excels after contact, Rashard Mendenhall not so much
The former sixth-round pick is second on the team in rushing yards (558) and rushing touchdowns (3), leads the team with seven rushes of 20 yards or more and also has 34 receptions for 351 yards and a touchdown.
But as ProFootballFocus.com detailed in a 'Between the Tackles' piece Thursday, his season might even more impressive than meets the eye.
Despite his somewhat diminutive stature, the 5-foot-9 standout out of Clemson ranks in the top 10 in both yards after contact on inside (2.47 per carry) and outside (league-leading 4.62 per carry) rushes.
Ellington is one of only three players -- Adrian Peterson and Rashad Jennings being the others -- to be in the top 10 of both lists.
However, while Ellington has embraced contact during his first NFL campaign, his teammate and the Cardinals' leading rusher, Rashard Mendenhall, apparently has not.
The first-year Cardinal ranks in the bottom 10 in both yards after contact on inside (1.67 per carry) and outside (1.78 per carry) rushes.
Mendenhall is one of only three players -- Ray Rice and Willis McGahee being the others -- to make both dubious lists.
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Despite interest from Cardinals, linebacker James Harrison retires
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.