ProFootballFocus: Cardinals' Andre Ellington excels after contact, Rashard Mendenhall not so much
The former sixth-round pick is second on the team in rushing yards (558) and rushing touchdowns (3), leads the team with seven rushes of 20 yards or more and also has 34 receptions for 351 yards and a touchdown.
But as ProFootballFocus.com detailed in a 'Between the Tackles' piece Thursday, his season might even more impressive than meets the eye.
Despite his somewhat diminutive stature, the 5-foot-9 standout out of Clemson ranks in the top 10 in both yards after contact on inside (2.47 per carry) and outside (league-leading 4.62 per carry) rushes.
Ellington is one of only three players -- Adrian Peterson and Rashad Jennings being the others -- to be in the top 10 of both lists.
However, while Ellington has embraced contact during his first NFL campaign, his teammate and the Cardinals' leading rusher, Rashard Mendenhall, apparently has not.
The first-year Cardinal ranks in the bottom 10 in both yards after contact on inside (1.67 per carry) and outside (1.78 per carry) rushes.
Mendenhall is one of only three players -- Ray Rice and Willis McGahee being the others -- to make both dubious lists.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.