Arizona Cardinals understand reality that this could be it for their season
However, that does not mean they are unaware of the possibility that they have held their last Friday practice of the season and could be in the mist of their season's final days.
"I've been in a bunch of these, where the last one counts and you don't know what's going to happen on Sunday with the other teams," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. "But this team has a chance to make history and that's all we talked about all week, is the possibility of tying the franchise record for wins and let the rest of the chips fall where they may."
The Cardinals' path to the postseason is rather simple, if unlikely. A Cardinals win along with a New Orleans Saints loss or tie to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will get Arizona in, just as a Saints loss along with a Cardinals tie.
A Cardinals loss or a Saints win, though, would mean the season ends Sunday.
"It's strange, man," rookie running back Andre Ellington said. "It's been a long season and you know, just to come to an end is not something you want to do right now. You obviously want to make it to the playoffs.
"We've just got to handle business on Sunday and see where it goes from there."
At the very least, the Cardinals are in a position to where their final regular season game could be for something, which has not been the case the last few seasons.
"It's fun to have the last one count," Arians said. "That's what we wanted all year, for this game to matter, and it matters."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.