Updated Dec 30, 2013 - 6:24 pm
Report: Browns, Vikings, Lions request permission to interview Arizona Cardinals DC Todd Bowles
The Browns dismissed head coach Rob Chudzinski Monday morning.
ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted Monday evening that the Minnesota Vikings have also asked to interview Bowles for their head coaching vacancy.
NFL.com writer Albert Breer said on Twitter that the Cardinals also received a call from the Detroit Lions regarding the Cardinals defensive coach.
Bowles figures to be an oft-mentioned candidate after the way the Cardinals' defense played in 2013, his first year with the team. Arizona ranked first in the NFL against the run and sixth in total defense. They were among the NFL's best in sacks and takeaways.
"I know Todd is going to get interviews, and rightfully so," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday, before news of the Browns' interest leaked.
In all, five head coaches were fired Monday, with Chudzinksi being joined by Detroit's Jim Schwartz, Tampa Bay's Greg Schiano, Washington's Mike Shanahan and Minnesota's Leslie Frazier, and there's still the possibility more jobs will open in the coming days and weeks.
So for now, it's probably best to assume this won't be the last time we hear Bowles' name linked to a different job.
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Cardinals WRs Brown, Golden and Powell fail to make case in final preseason game
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.