Updated Dec 30, 2013 - 6:24 pm
Report: Browns, Vikings, Lions request permission to interview Arizona Cardinals DC Todd Bowles
The Browns dismissed head coach Rob Chudzinski Monday morning.
ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted Monday evening that the Minnesota Vikings have also asked to interview Bowles for their head coaching vacancy.
NFL.com writer Albert Breer said on Twitter that the Cardinals also received a call from the Detroit Lions regarding the Cardinals defensive coach.
Bowles figures to be an oft-mentioned candidate after the way the Cardinals' defense played in 2013, his first year with the team. Arizona ranked first in the NFL against the run and sixth in total defense. They were among the NFL's best in sacks and takeaways.
"I know Todd is going to get interviews, and rightfully so," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday, before news of the Browns' interest leaked.
In all, five head coaches were fired Monday, with Chudzinksi being joined by Detroit's Jim Schwartz, Tampa Bay's Greg Schiano, Washington's Mike Shanahan and Minnesota's Leslie Frazier, and there's still the possibility more jobs will open in the coming days and weeks.
So for now, it's probably best to assume this won't be the last time we hear Bowles' name linked to a different job.
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.