NFL.com writer says Cardinals likely to make the playoffs next season
They did not make it, though, making them one of 20 teams that is home watching the postseason. Of those teams, though, who is most likely to have its fortunes change in 2014?
The folks over at NFL.com gave their picks, with writer Adam Schein picking the Cardinals, saying they are primed to break through in 2014.
Of all the teams that missed out on the playoffs, the Arizona Cardinals have the best chance to make it in 2014. Heck, they should've made it this year, what with their double-digit win total. If they had gotten in, the Cards would've been dangerous with that defense, Larry Fitzgerald and the mindset established under first-year head coach Bruce Arians. Remember, Jonathan Cooper, last April's first-round pick, didn't play a down that counted, moving to injured reserve after breaking a leg in a preseason game. When Cooper returns, he will greatly aid the line. It also wouldn't surprise me to see 'Zona invest in a young quarterback.
General manager Steve Keim is fantastic. He'll get the necessary complementary pieces to get this team, which I labeled the most fascinating of 2013, over the hump in 2014.
Charley Casserly also mentioned the Cardinals, but he did so while including the Rams, Ravens, Lions and Texans, as well.
As for Schein, he's been a notable supporter of what the Cardinals have done over the last year, and it's not a surprise that he thinks the team is going to take another step forward in 2014.
Cardinals fans just have to hope he's right.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.