Clayton: Preoccupations of other Browns head coaching candidates may give Bowles a leg up
Finally, the way his minority status sits with the NFL's newly-created Career Development Advisory Panel, which is set to emphasize the qualifications of minority candidates like Bowles, who is African-American, bodes well for his chances at one of the league's open head coaching jobs. Currently, four such openings exist, after the Houston Texans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers filled their vacancies, and there may be more opportunities on the horizon.
The Cleveland Browns have been most directly linked to interest in Bowles, who is reportedly interviewing with the team on Friday.
The 50-year-old Bowles was a member of the last coaching staff to take the Browns to the playoffs, as a defensive backs coach from 2001-04. Despite that, the former NFL safety isn't seen as a primary candidate for the position, according to ESPN NFL reporter John Clayton, who joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Friday.
Rather, New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is the name to watch, according to Clayton.
"I do think that Josh is the frontrunner," Clayton said.
"But also what happens is if you're Cleveland, can you really wait if the Patriots go to the Super Bowl?"
With the playoffs beginning this weekend, much remains to be seen in the head coaching picture and the preoccupations of other Browns candidates for the job may help Bowles' chances at landing his first such position.
In addition to McDaniels, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn has garnered significant interest from the Browns, who see him as an ‘option B,' according to Clayton. His current engagement with the BCS National Championship game, which is to be played Monday, also delays the Browns' search progress. And the two other names Clayton went on to link to the job, Seattle Seahawks coordinators Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn, themselves remain engrossed in their own team's playoff journey.
"That," Clayton says, "might put (the Browns) in a position to go option B, option C."
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.