ESPN's Clayton says it's '50-50' if Todd Bowles will be back in Arizona next season
It's been a couple weeks since his team's season ended, and Bowles has interviewed with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings, the latter of which he's reportedly a finalist for.
Neither team has filled its vacancy yet, and as a guest of Doug and Wolf's Friday, ESPN NFL insider John Clayton said it's "50-50" whether Bowles will be back in Arizona.
"It's also a situation where he's now in for two or three jobs, but he may not like them," Clayton said. "I don't know what he feels about Cleveland, I don't know what he feels about Minnesota and I think he's going to get interviewed in Tennessee."
Bowles has been an oft-mentioned name this offseason after he guided the Cardinals' defense to number six overall ranking, including number one against the run. He does have some previous head coaching experience, having led the Miami Dolphins to a 2-1 record during an interim stint in 2011.
"Is he qualified for a head coaching job," Clayton asked. "Absolutely, but he may be selective about this. If you get a head coaching job, you want to make sure it's the right one."
Clayton added that Bowles is in a good spot either way, because if he does not get a head coaching job this offseason, he may very well land one a year from now.
"I still say it's 50-50," he said, noting that both the Titans and Vikings may prefer other coaches, anyway. "Cleveland is just hard to figure out. If offered the Cleveland job, I don't know if he necessarily would take it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!