PFF: Arizona Cardinals had NFL's worst offensive line in 2013
The defense, which was good the year before, took things to another level under Todd Bowles, finishing first against the run and sixth overall.
The offense, which had been struggling to find a capable quarterback, was led by an increasingly effective Carson Palmer for 16 games, with the veteran throwing for 4,274 yards and 24 touchdowns.
Yet, while most things were better in 2013 than they were in 2012, one thing that apparently didn't improve was the offensive line.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Arizona's front was the worst in the NFL for the second consecutive season.
The site praised the job done by center Lyle Sendlein while saying left tackle Bradley Sowell was the worst member of a pretty dismal group.
Analysis: It's rare to see a team finish last two years on the trot, but then it's nothing Cardinals fans wouldn't have seen coming. It wasn't helped by the aforementioned loss of Cooper, while incredibly the team's long overdue divorce from Levi Brown actually left them in a worse position at left tackle. It's hard to imagine them being worse next year.
Though no one would argue Arizona's offensive line was one of the league's best, the tough grade may be a bit of a surprise given the relative effectiveness of the running game along with the decrease in sacks allowed. However, it is apparent that if the Cardinals could afford to improve only one area this offseason, they have a pretty easy decision to make.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.