Updated Jan 15, 2014 - 2:23 pm
Looks like the Arizona Cardinals will keep Todd Bowles
Bowles spoke with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings about their vacancies, and was supposedly a finalist for the Minnesota job.
Tuesday, Bowles told the Cleveland Browns to remove him from consideration, and Wednesday the Vikings tabbed Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to be their coach.
The Cardinals may have dodged a bullet.
Vikings told Todd Bowles if they didn't hire Zimmer, he was their guy.— Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss) January 15, 2014
So, it looks like Bowles will be back in Arizona for a second season.
It's not the worst thing that could happen for either party, as Bowles will have another year to prove his mettle and the Cardinals will benefit from having him still leading the defense.
Last year, Bowles' first with the Cardinals, he helped the team lead the NFL in rushing defense and finish sixth overall. Arizona finished tied for sixth in the league with 47 sacks and their 30 turnovers tied for sixth.
Producing another season like the one they just had would likely lead to more head coaching interviews for Bowles next offseason, with the good chance that he would end up landing one of the jobs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.