Updated Jan 15, 2014 - 2:23 pm
Looks like the Arizona Cardinals will keep Todd Bowles
Bowles spoke with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings about their vacancies, and was supposedly a finalist for the Minnesota job.
Tuesday, Bowles told the Cleveland Browns to remove him from consideration, and Wednesday the Vikings tabbed Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to be their coach.
The Cardinals may have dodged a bullet.
Vikings told Todd Bowles if they didn't hire Zimmer, he was their guy.— Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss) January 15, 2014
So, it looks like Bowles will be back in Arizona for a second season.
It's not the worst thing that could happen for either party, as Bowles will have another year to prove his mettle and the Cardinals will benefit from having him still leading the defense.
Last year, Bowles' first with the Cardinals, he helped the team lead the NFL in rushing defense and finish sixth overall. Arizona finished tied for sixth in the league with 47 sacks and their 30 turnovers tied for sixth.
Producing another season like the one they just had would likely lead to more head coaching interviews for Bowles next offseason, with the good chance that he would end up landing one of the jobs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves