Arizona Cardinals on list of teams eligible for 'Hard Knocks'
That led to changes from the league office last October to come up with a pool of eligible teams to choose from should no franchise step up and volunteer to be featured. Of course, there are stipulations. Teams with new coaches, teams that have made the playoffs two years running and teams that have appeared on the show in the last decade are exempt.
Using that formula, the Arizona Cardinals are one of eight teams that could be forced to participate in 2014. The others are the Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Rams.
The possibility of the Cardinals being forced to participate is an interesting one, considering head coach Bruce Arians' comments on the show.
"It's a total distraction, and I think it's an embarrassment to players," Arians said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio last October. "I think when players are released, some of the things that are said between coaches and players are too personal, and nobody else's business."
Only six franchises have been featured in eight seasons of the show, with the Cincinnati Bengals (2009 and 2013) and the Dallas Cowboys (2002 and 2008) participating twice each.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.