Arizona Cardinals on list of teams eligible for 'Hard Knocks'
That led to changes from the league office last October to come up with a pool of eligible teams to choose from should no franchise step up and volunteer to be featured. Of course, there are stipulations. Teams with new coaches, teams that have made the playoffs two years running and teams that have appeared on the show in the last decade are exempt.
Using that formula, the Arizona Cardinals are one of eight teams that could be forced to participate in 2014. The others are the Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Rams.
The possibility of the Cardinals being forced to participate is an interesting one, considering head coach Bruce Arians' comments on the show.
"It's a total distraction, and I think it's an embarrassment to players," Arians said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio last October. "I think when players are released, some of the things that are said between coaches and players are too personal, and nobody else's business."
Only six franchises have been featured in eight seasons of the show, with the Cincinnati Bengals (2009 and 2013) and the Dallas Cowboys (2002 and 2008) participating twice each.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b