Arizona Cardinals on list of teams eligible for 'Hard Knocks'
That led to changes from the league office last October to come up with a pool of eligible teams to choose from should no franchise step up and volunteer to be featured. Of course, there are stipulations. Teams with new coaches, teams that have made the playoffs two years running and teams that have appeared on the show in the last decade are exempt.
Using that formula, the Arizona Cardinals are one of eight teams that could be forced to participate in 2014. The others are the Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Rams.
The possibility of the Cardinals being forced to participate is an interesting one, considering head coach Bruce Arians' comments on the show.
"It's a total distraction, and I think it's an embarrassment to players," Arians said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio last October. "I think when players are released, some of the things that are said between coaches and players are too personal, and nobody else's business."
Only six franchises have been featured in eight seasons of the show, with the Cincinnati Bengals (2009 and 2013) and the Dallas Cowboys (2002 and 2008) participating twice each.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.