Updated Feb 1, 2014 - 5:50 pm
Former Arizona Cardinals cornerback Aeneas Williams elected to NFL Hall of Fame
Cornerback Aeneas Williams was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio on Saturday -- making him the first player drafted by the Arizona Cardinals to be elected.
"All of us at the Cardinals are ecstatic for Aeneas who is a true Hall of Famer in every sense of the word," Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said. "His play on the field made him one of the NFL's all-time great players but his integrity and character were just as exceptional. Aeneas, Tracy and their family have been an integral part of the Cardinals family and I can't think of a better person to become the first from the team's Arizona era to be enshrined in Canton."
Selected in the third round out of Southern University 1991, Williams played the first 10 years of his 14-year career in Arizona. Joining Williams in the 2014 class are Michael Strahan, Walter Jones, Derrick Brooks, Andre Reed, Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey.
Williams made the Pro Bowl eight times and was named First-Team All-Pro three times. He finished his career with 677 tackles, 55 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries while playing in 211 games -- including 180 consecutive starts between 1991 and 2002.
He scored 12 touchdowns -- nine on interceptions and three on fumble recoveries -- and was generally considered to be one of the best cornerbacks of his generation.
Williams became the 13th playere inducted into the Cardinals Ring of Honor in 2008,
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.