Updated Feb 4, 2014 - 2:37 pm
Aeneas Williams: The paragon player
Aeneas was an obvious talent from the first day he showed up in Tempe. During one-on-ones, where receivers ran routes against defensive backs, the cornerback from Southern, drafted in the third round, jumped off the practice field. He competed from the very beginning and had some receivers, like Ricky Proehl, shaking his head. The guy was like watching a training manual for how to be a shutdown corner.
Aeneas wanted to compete on every play. He wanted to win on every play. He had a burning desire to be the best and was the quintessential self-starter. He was smart: one of those corners that you might have fooled once but you proceeded with peril if you tried to fool him twice. Athletically, he was without peer, great hips with uncanny closing speed and ball skills that could not be measured by human hands.
Although we did not have great receivers in 1991 since Roy Green went to Philadelphia that year, I remember watching him play and compete when he came in as a rookie and we were stunned. All of us looked at Aeneas and believed he was going to be great. We just didn't know how great.
Congratulations, Aeneas. You did it the right way and it's great to see perseverance and hard work reward such a fine human being.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!