Updated Feb 4, 2014 - 2:37 pm
Aeneas Williams: The paragon player
Aeneas was an obvious talent from the first day he showed up in Tempe. During one-on-ones, where receivers ran routes against defensive backs, the cornerback from Southern, drafted in the third round, jumped off the practice field. He competed from the very beginning and had some receivers, like Ricky Proehl, shaking his head. The guy was like watching a training manual for how to be a shutdown corner.
Aeneas wanted to compete on every play. He wanted to win on every play. He had a burning desire to be the best and was the quintessential self-starter. He was smart: one of those corners that you might have fooled once but you proceeded with peril if you tried to fool him twice. Athletically, he was without peer, great hips with uncanny closing speed and ball skills that could not be measured by human hands.
Although we did not have great receivers in 1991 since Roy Green went to Philadelphia that year, I remember watching him play and compete when he came in as a rookie and we were stunned. All of us looked at Aeneas and believed he was going to be great. We just didn't know how great.
Congratulations, Aeneas. You did it the right way and it's great to see perseverance and hard work reward such a fine human being.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.