Updated Feb 4, 2014 - 4:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald tweets that he signed a restructured contract
Faced with the fact that receiver Larry Fitzgerald was due to count $18 million against the team's salary cap in 2014, the team had hoped to come to an agreement with the veteran that would satisfy both sides.
And it appears they have done just that.
Fitzgerald was due to earn $12.75 million in base salary this season, with the rest of the cap hit being part of a prorated signing bonus.
Last week, before the Super Bowl, Fitzgerald told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta that when the discussions about a restructured contract came, he will "do what I need to do."
What exactly that entailed we do not know, but reports are the move saved the Cardinals about $8 million.
My understanding of #Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald's contract situation is that it was a simple restructure. Saves about $8M in cap space— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 4, 2014
"I understand that at 30 years old, there's things that need to change," Fitzgerald said at the time. "That's part of football, that's part of being an older veteran and part of this league.
"I want to see this team do well. I love the nucleus of guys. I know Patrick's deal is coming up -- he needs to be compensated as the best corner in the game, which I feel that he is. We've got to take care of Karlos Dansby, Frostee Rucker. There's a lot of guys that deserve to be compensated for their play, and I understand that."
Fitzgerald, who has played his entire career in Arizona with the Cardinals, is coming off a bounce-back season that saw him catch 82 passes for 954 yards and 10 touchdowns. He made his eighth Pro Bowl.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.