Updated Feb 4, 2014 - 4:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald tweets that he signed a restructured contract
Faced with the fact that receiver Larry Fitzgerald was due to count $18 million against the team's salary cap in 2014, the team had hoped to come to an agreement with the veteran that would satisfy both sides.
And it appears they have done just that.
Fitzgerald was due to earn $12.75 million in base salary this season, with the rest of the cap hit being part of a prorated signing bonus.
Last week, before the Super Bowl, Fitzgerald told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta that when the discussions about a restructured contract came, he will "do what I need to do."
What exactly that entailed we do not know, but reports are the move saved the Cardinals about $8 million.
My understanding of #Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald's contract situation is that it was a simple restructure. Saves about $8M in cap space— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 4, 2014
"I understand that at 30 years old, there's things that need to change," Fitzgerald said at the time. "That's part of football, that's part of being an older veteran and part of this league.
"I want to see this team do well. I love the nucleus of guys. I know Patrick's deal is coming up -- he needs to be compensated as the best corner in the game, which I feel that he is. We've got to take care of Karlos Dansby, Frostee Rucker. There's a lot of guys that deserve to be compensated for their play, and I understand that."
Fitzgerald, who has played his entire career in Arizona with the Cardinals, is coming off a bounce-back season that saw him catch 82 passes for 954 yards and 10 touchdowns. He made his eighth Pro Bowl.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.