Updated Feb 7, 2014 - 9:34 am
NFL.com's Schein: Arizona Cardinals one of the most interesting teams this offseason
But with free agency and the draft on the docket, there will be plenty of opportunity for the team to try and make the necessary moves to go from a 10-win team that missed the playoffs to one that not only makes it to the postseason, but goes on a deep run, too.
And NFL.com's Adam Schein, for one, is really curious to see what the Cardinals do.
In a piece going over teams to watch this offseason, Schein places the Cardinals second.
I was not surprised that Larry Fitzgerald restructured his deal to give the Cardinals flexibility this offseason. He's a great teammate, committed to doing whatever he can to help Arizona win games -- and he still gets paid in the form of a bonus. Last Friday, on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein on Sports," team president Michael Bidwill succinctly summed up his feelings for the perennial Pro Bowler: "Larry Fitzgerald will be a Cardinal for life. Period."
The Cardinals missed the playoffs despite winning 10 games, including a victory over the Seahawks in Seattle. 'Zona is dangerously close. This seemed like a team that could've made a run in the postseason, what with its swarming, play-making defense.
Coach Bruce Arians changed the culture. General manager Steve Keim did a brilliant job improving the talent.
I expect some offensive tweaks from Keim, like drafting a quarterback at some point in the first three rounds.
The idea that the Cardinals are "dangerously close" has to be music to fans' ears, though at the same time the NFL is a year-to-year proposition and there's no way of knowing if a previous year's success will translate to the next.
However, Schein's greater point tends to speak to the general optimism surrounding the team early in 2014, and it's up to the Cardinals to do well in the coming months and upgrade the roster to keep the good vibes coming.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.