Arizona Cardinals face one of the NFL's toughest 2014 schedules
By strength of schedule, the Arizona Cardinals have the eighth-most difficult set of opponents in 2014, with the 13 different teams combining for a .547 winning percentage in 2013.
Arizona's NFC West rivals are all facing more difficult slates, with the St. Louis Rams having the second-toughest schedule in the NFL.
Of course, a large chunk of the scheduling difficulty comes courtesy of those division rivals, which was unavoidable for Arizona. The team will have six games against the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams, who combined to go 32-16 with two NFC Championship Game appearances and one Super Bowl title last year.
Breaking down the schedule even more, the Cardinals will deal with the third-toughest home slate in the NFL, as the University of Phoenix Stadium visitors have a .563 winning percentage. The Cards will get a small reprieve away from home, though, as their opponents on the road have just a .531 winning percentage, good enough for ninth-best in the NFL.
What does all this mean? Well, no one really knows who is going to be good on a year-to-year basis, so odds are some of the games that appear to be the most challenging now will not be once they are actually played (see Falcons and Texans last season). But, if the Cardinals are to have another successful season, chances are they are going to earn it.
And for what it's worth, the Cards had the seventh-toughest schedule going into last season, and things turned out OK.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves