Former Arizona Cardinals safety Kerry Rhodes denies he was blacklisted by NFL over gay rumors
The former Louisville Cardinal had 67 total tackles, four interceptions and a quarterback sack.
ProFootballFocus.com had Rhodes rated as the fourth-best safety in all of football, so why hasn't the 31-year-old played in the NFL since?
There have been persistent rumors about Rhodes' sexuality since last April when Russell "Hollywood" Simpson claimed that he had a homosexual relationship with the player.
Some have suggested Rhodes wasn't picked up by any team in 2013 because of the rumors -- a blacklisting of sorts -- but the eight-year veteran has spoken up and said that isn't the case.
Rhodes granted Jane McManus of ESPN New York a phone interview Tuesday and denied the rumors about any unofficial blacklist he may have landed on.
I don't think I was blacklisted. Especially with the NFL I don't think they would do that ... to me it was a product of me wanting to do other things and not finding the right opportunity.
And about the lingering rumors about his sexuality?
I emphatically said no once and that's all I need to say and people who know me know that's definitely not the case. To me I'm definitely not and I can't control what people think, so I move on.
Rhodes went on to say that he's still interested in continuing his NFL career, if the right situation were to present itself.
Former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam made history last week when he announced he is gay. The 24-year-old will become the first openly gay player in the NFL when he is drafted in May.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.