Former Arizona Cardinals safety Kerry Rhodes denies he was blacklisted by NFL over gay rumors
The former Louisville Cardinal had 67 total tackles, four interceptions and a quarterback sack.
ProFootballFocus.com had Rhodes rated as the fourth-best safety in all of football, so why hasn't the 31-year-old played in the NFL since?
There have been persistent rumors about Rhodes' sexuality since last April when Russell "Hollywood" Simpson claimed that he had a homosexual relationship with the player.
Some have suggested Rhodes wasn't picked up by any team in 2013 because of the rumors -- a blacklisting of sorts -- but the eight-year veteran has spoken up and said that isn't the case.
Rhodes granted Jane McManus of ESPN New York a phone interview Tuesday and denied the rumors about any unofficial blacklist he may have landed on.
I don't think I was blacklisted. Especially with the NFL I don't think they would do that ... to me it was a product of me wanting to do other things and not finding the right opportunity.
And about the lingering rumors about his sexuality?
I emphatically said no once and that's all I need to say and people who know me know that's definitely not the case. To me I'm definitely not and I can't control what people think, so I move on.
Rhodes went on to say that he's still interested in continuing his NFL career, if the right situation were to present itself.
Former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam made history last week when he announced he is gay. The 24-year-old will become the first openly gay player in the NFL when he is drafted in May.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.