Cardinals GM Keim: Team will platoon at running back
Mendenhall gained 687 yards on 217 carries, while Ellington tallied 652 on 118.
They provided the team with a solid 1-2 punch out of the backfield, which is kind of a necessity in the NFL these days.
After all, while the Cardinals may view Ellington as their number one back, his carries will still be limited.
"I don't know that there are many feature backs in the NFL," GM Steve Keim said from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis Thursday. "Most teams use a platoon of backs, and that would probably be no different for us."
Last season that platoon was mainly with Mendenhall, but he's heading into free agency and may not be brought back. Stepfan Taylor, whom the Cardinals selected in the fifth round of the 2013 draft out of Stanford, may be next in line.
But whether it's Mendenhall, Taylor or someone else sharing the load with Ellington, the point is there won't be a "featured back" in Arizona, even if Ellington can add a bit of weight like the team hopes.
"Andre, the way he's built -- just his body type -- is more in line with guys like Chris Johnson, guys like Jamaal Charles," he said. "His speed and acceleration, his movement skills -- that's his strength. But to say that you're going to play him 25 to 30 snaps, pounding the ball between the tackles, you're probably leaving yourself open for some injury."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.