Cardinals GM Keim: Team will platoon at running back
Mendenhall gained 687 yards on 217 carries, while Ellington tallied 652 on 118.
They provided the team with a solid 1-2 punch out of the backfield, which is kind of a necessity in the NFL these days.
After all, while the Cardinals may view Ellington as their number one back, his carries will still be limited.
"I don't know that there are many feature backs in the NFL," GM Steve Keim said from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis Thursday. "Most teams use a platoon of backs, and that would probably be no different for us."
Last season that platoon was mainly with Mendenhall, but he's heading into free agency and may not be brought back. Stepfan Taylor, whom the Cardinals selected in the fifth round of the 2013 draft out of Stanford, may be next in line.
But whether it's Mendenhall, Taylor or someone else sharing the load with Ellington, the point is there won't be a "featured back" in Arizona, even if Ellington can add a bit of weight like the team hopes.
"Andre, the way he's built -- just his body type -- is more in line with guys like Chris Johnson, guys like Jamaal Charles," he said. "His speed and acceleration, his movement skills -- that's his strength. But to say that you're going to play him 25 to 30 snaps, pounding the ball between the tackles, you're probably leaving yourself open for some injury."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.