Cardinals GM Keim: Team will platoon at running back
Mendenhall gained 687 yards on 217 carries, while Ellington tallied 652 on 118.
They provided the team with a solid 1-2 punch out of the backfield, which is kind of a necessity in the NFL these days.
After all, while the Cardinals may view Ellington as their number one back, his carries will still be limited.
"I don't know that there are many feature backs in the NFL," GM Steve Keim said from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis Thursday. "Most teams use a platoon of backs, and that would probably be no different for us."
Last season that platoon was mainly with Mendenhall, but he's heading into free agency and may not be brought back. Stepfan Taylor, whom the Cardinals selected in the fifth round of the 2013 draft out of Stanford, may be next in line.
But whether it's Mendenhall, Taylor or someone else sharing the load with Ellington, the point is there won't be a "featured back" in Arizona, even if Ellington can add a bit of weight like the team hopes.
"Andre, the way he's built -- just his body type -- is more in line with guys like Chris Johnson, guys like Jamaal Charles," he said. "His speed and acceleration, his movement skills -- that's his strength. But to say that you're going to play him 25 to 30 snaps, pounding the ball between the tackles, you're probably leaving yourself open for some injury."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Arizona Cardinals agree to terms with Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
- Arizona Cardinals react to Karlos Dansby's departure
- Arizona Cardinals to lose LB Karlos Dansby to Cleveland Browns
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.