Cardinals coach Arians: Ryan Williams 'has a chance this year'
A former second-round pick out of Virginia Tech, Williams barely made the team last season and then was inactive for all 16 games as Rashard Mendenhall, Andre Ellington and Stepfan Taylor got the majority of the carries.
Mendenhall is a free agent, though, and it's possible he won't be brought back. Could that open the door for Williams?
"Ryan has a chance this year," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis Friday. "He went into training camp, missed the entire preseason. It's very hard to become a player during the season when you've got three guys in front of you.
"And he did impressive things on our scout team."
Arians praised the work effort the 23-year-old showed during the season, adding that he needs to carry it all over to this upcoming training camp.
Of course, Arians did not discount the idea that Williams may not be long for the team, although that would only be the case if they find someone who is deemed to be a better fit for the team.
"There's always a door number two," he said. "If door number two is better when we look behind it, he'll be gone.
"But he can play. He can play."
Williams has been plagued by injuries during his three seasons in Arizona. A ruptured patellar tendon in his right knee ended his rookie campaign in the preseason, and a shoulder injury cut his sophomore season short after just five games, where he rushed for 164 yards on 58 carries.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.