Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians: 'I think Michael Floyd is starting to reach his potential'
One of those players was second-year wide receiver Michael Floyd, who had an up-and-down rookie campaign in Arizona under the direction of Ken Whisenhunt, catching 45 balls for 562 yards and two touchdowns.
Whatever was spoken between player and coach during their initial meeting certainly sparked a fire underneath the former No. 13 overall pick, as he had a career year in 2013. Floyd caught 65 passes for a team-leading 1,041 yards to go along with five touchdowns.
"I think Michael is starting to reach his potential," Arians told the assembled media at the NFL Combine this week. "He had what I considered a breakout year with over 1,000 yards. He still needs to be a little more consistent each week."
During his breakout year, the former Notre Dame standout had a remarkable streak that spanned the entire month of January, catching 25 straight passes for first downs, culminating with a 31-yard, game-winning touchdown reception in a 16-10 win at Seattle.
But Arians admitted that what impressed him most from the still-maturing wideout was his ability to play through pain. Despite suffering from a handful of maladies, including a sprained shoulder and ailing ankle, Floyd played in all 16 of Arizona's contests.
"He played through injuries for the first time, which is a huge step for a young player to play through injuries," said Arians. "A lot of times they'll just sit themselves down. He wanted to win. He wanted to help us win. I thought he made great strides.
"Now this year, can he do it again? That'll be the question for him."
If he can, the Cardinals might have found their star wide receiver of the future.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.