Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians sheds light on free agent strategy
That's the day NFL teams can begin contacting and negotiating with free agents and make qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
According to Arizona head coach Bruce Arians, the team's general manager, Steve Keim, will be busy calling players when the clock strikes 12:01.
"We probably have five," Arians told Doug and Wolf Friday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM when asked if there was a specific early target for the Cardinals. "Steve and I have the same philosophy, 'here it is, do you want it? I'm going to ask this guy in about a half an hour. If you don't want it, I'm going to ask him. If he wants it, you're out.'
"It's easy. We don't play games."
Of course, the second-year head coach didn't offer names of players the team is targeting, but did talk about areas where he'd like to see the Cardinals improve.
"I think we need to get bigger and stronger on both sides of line with more depth -- offensive line and defensive line. We need to get some depth because of our division -- you're going to win at the line of scrimmage in our division, you have to be physical," he said.
"And we can never, never stop getting speed, everywhere. Whether it be a linebacker, pass rusher, corner, safety or wide receiver."
Then there's the matter of the Cardinals bringing back free agents of their own. Arizona has 14 players in that category, but none more important to re-sign than veteran linebacker Karlos Dansby, who led the team with 122 total tackles and was named a second team All-Pro.
Arians knows how vital Dansby is to the Cardinals' defense.
"There's no doubt -- we offered Karlos a contract the day after the season ended," he said. "We're still in the negotiating process, but he's a major part because of what he brought to the table for us as a leader.
"We definitely would love to have him back."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b